Friday, July 21, 2006

Today is my birthday


Today is my birthday and as usual, a time for reflection. I look back over the year and try to figure out if I should be happy or sad with what has transpired. Let's start with the happy - I'm grateful to be alive and well. I'm sad that it seems that this year went by faster than last. That seems to happen more and more the older I get. For me that means that I should be in even more of a hurry to do all those things that I say I want to do - or to go to all those places that I've been wanting to go to. I've had a busy year - going to places that I've always wanted to go. In fact I've been on 5 out of 7 continents in a year's time.

Last year on this day, my birthday I sat on the side of a mountain in Peru, peering down at the ruins of Machu Picchu. I could write 10 pages of text and never be able to fully express the incredible awe and wonderment of that site. It was an experience that I will never forget.

As I sat on the edge of a high, rocky path and looked down at this ancient Inca city nestled in the creases of the Andes Mountains, I was awed by the shere beauty of it's majestic setting. I spent most of the morning with my family, watching the "mood" of this site - watching the clouds and feeling the mist that enveloped the mountain peaks - watching as shafts of light streaming through holes in the fog, struck the walls and the steps of this ancient village, making it suddenly appear, as if it was just being discovered for the first time.

It had been quite a journey just getting to Machu Picchu from New Jersey, although nothing in comparison to Hiram Bingham's journey in 1911, when he discovered this site. We didn't spend months hiking into remote areas of the Andes Mountains like Hiram did in his pursuit to find the last capital of the Inca State. We simply flew from Newark, NJ to Lima, Peru - arrived the next morning - flew to Cusco - spent the night - then took a 4 hour train ride through some incredible scenery - arrived and went to our hotel near Aqua Calientes, a small village - a half hour bus ride away, zigzaging up the mountain to Machu Picchu. Many people decide to endure the 4 day hike along the Inca Trail, arriving at Machu Picchu at dawn.

We visited Machu Picchu two full days and on the day we were to depart Agua Calientes, we decided to visit one more time. It is truly one of the greatest spots on Earth. It is inspiring, breathtaking, spiritual and almost any other cliche that comes to mind. One of those places that's better than you imagined - in fact beyond words.

Today, on this birthday, I'm not in any exotic place, but I'm happy to be where I am. Who knows where I might be next year on this day or for all the days in between. But that's what makes life exciting - like Forest Gump said " life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get".

3 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Hey, I recently added a news widget from www.widgetmate.com to my blog. It shows the latest news, and just took a copy and paste to implement. Might interest you too.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Hi, Added a new value add to my blog this weekend - a news widget from www.widgetmate.com. I always wanted to show latest news for my keywords in my sidebar. It was very easy with this widget. Just a small copy paste and it was done. Great indeed.

4:40 AM  
Blogger bernard n. shull said...

hi mate, this is the canadin pharmacy you asked me about: the link

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home